lyrics + disclaimer

Life is short, so let's go live it.

**all opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect those of the Peace Corps or any official US or Namibian organization.**

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Our "Reading culture" - help please?!

I'm looking for donations!!

Thanks to some generous assistance, mostly from Catherine’s Northwest School and my mom (you are awesome!!!), I brought back a bunch of new books with me when I returned to Tses this year.
It's nice to see kids studying - but even cooler when they are practicing their English skills for fun!

For those of you who know me, when I was little I used to spend inordinate amounts of time reading. I would go through hundreds of books during summer vacation, curled up in my mom’s chair or sprawled on the stairs. Now, it has made me so happy to be able to give my kids great books to read!

Although the school has a library, it is mostly old reject books from the US or UK. They aren’t “nice” reading books and the kids just aren’t interested. Now, armed with an arsenal of Ramona, Goosebumps, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Roald Dahl etc., I have actually gotten a bunch of kids interested in reading! I see them with my books not only during ‘study’ time, when they have finished their homework – but also sitting around in their own free time. Seriously, it makes me feel so great.
Once these girls got their hands on my Ramona series, I didn't see it again for a week.

BUT! I have a request from the kids for MORE. I don’t have a lot of difficult books (difficult is about the Ramona level for them) because I brought back mostly books for my remedial English classes. Now that I see that the better readers are also getting into my books, I don’t have enough for them! They are begging for more Ramona, specifically, and other “nice” books. Medium level, funny and interesting stories. I actually think those Beverly Cleary books are better for being old, because there isn’t as much cultural stuff that doesn’t make sense to them.

If anyone has extra books of that level lying around, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get some more donations for my kids. Even if you can afford to ship an envelope with 2 books we would be incredibly grateful.


Thanks in advance for your support!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment