lyrics + disclaimer

Life is short, so let's go live it.

**all opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect those of the Peace Corps or any official US or Namibian organization.**

Sunday, February 8, 2015

New Year, New Job

Just a quick update on my life in Tses this year! Since I am now an “Extended” Peace Corps Volunteer, my project changes slightly. So far, here’s what it looks like I’m doing day-to-day.

-Working with small groups of learners on a remedial English curriculum (pulling them out of class and starting back at what appears to be an American grade 2-3 level)
-Working in the science laboratory with learners and teachers (It has not been open in decades!!!! We have already done two labs this year!!!!)
-Working with admin. at school to develop new tools and streamline .. everything
-Sports with the kids (currently training track and field/athletics, trying to get the rugby/soccer programs up and going as well)
-Helping out with extracurriculars including afternoon and evening study, a girls’ group, etc.
-Working with staff to develop their skills – science lab, computers/Excel, English, etc.
-Subbing in classes when teachers are absent (I spent one week basically subbing for our other maths teacher, which was cool because I got a chance to explain things to the kids in a second way so they had a better shot at understanding – and then got to move forward with her curriculum so they don’t get behind so early in the year)
-Working with some of the new teachers one-on-one to develop their skills and help them get settled into the school and Ministry organization

I’m so excited about this year. It seems like most of the teachers are really motivated and excited to do stuff (which is a change!!) and the vibe at school is really good so far.


Just a note – sorry to all if I’m bad about updating my blog this term. I’m currently taking an online course (Environmental Economics) as well as adjusting to a new workload and trying to stay on top of everything here in Tses! So far the term has been totally hectic…

No comments:

Post a Comment