lyrics + disclaimer

Life is short, so let's go live it.

**all opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect those of the Peace Corps or any official US or Namibian organization.**

Sunday, November 16, 2014

A New Look

Most of you probably know that my two new gap year volunteers came to Tses a few months ago. They are 18 year old boys from Wales and Holland, but they're staying with me in the same house. I always think it is interesting to help them through their first few months around, as they are learning everything for the first time. Language, culture, places, everything. The first experiences of hitchhiking and learning a new language are usually kind of hard, but after that they catch on fast!

We had another few firsts this weekend that were pretty fantastic. I took the boys to their first "potjie" (A dinner using a 3 legged black pot, which is basically Stone Soup. Everyone brings whatever is in the house and we cook together and have a few drinks.) We were together with one of my favourite teachers (and my Peace Corps counterpart) and a few other guys from the village.



Then yesterday afternoon we went to go see "The Waterfall" on the Fish River! The Fish is only about 15-20 km away from Tses, but it is difficult to get there since you need your own car. But my principal took us on the way to the farm, so we walked around and enjoyed the amazing scenery there. The river has carved out huge channels through the surrounding rock, which is impressive given the fact that it is currently dry! There are only a few puddles remaining here and there, due to the fact that most of the water is held back by a dam up in Mariental.

The water next to "The Waterfall"

My principal and current Mom-Away-From-Home, Ms. Pauline. (I am actually shocked how close we have gotten in the last year or so. It's great.)

Driving home with the sun setting in the distance and the dust from the bakkie kicking up behind us

No comments:

Post a Comment