lyrics + disclaimer

Life is short, so let's go live it.

**all opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect those of the Peace Corps or any official US or Namibian organization.**

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Close to Home

The first week of August holiday, Dad, Louise, and Aunt Pamela came to visit! It was so extraordinary to see people from home, to talk about things from home, and just to have family around again.

While they were here, we traveled a bit around the Hardap Dam area, Sossusvlei, Naukluft, Walvis Bay, Usakos.. and then they traveled on and I headed back to Windhoek. I have to say, the places were beautiful, the places we stayed were fabulous, the food we ate was delicious! I felt so spoiled the entire time.

The really incredible thing, though, to me was the extreme difference in worlds I get to experience while here. As a Peace Corps Volunteer, I am in an extremely unique position to see “both sides” of this country. First, I stay in a small village with not much money, and get to see how life is here, how people survive, how the community really functions. THEN, I get to travel around with family and friends, stay at pretty ritzy places, try out fancy binoculars and cameras, eat the wonderful food, have someone make up my bed every day. It is a crazy juxtaposition of two totally different worlds.


Unfortunately I didn’t take many photos since Dad and Aunt Pamela have such nicer cameras… but I’ll get my hands on them at some point!

A huge THANK YOU to Dad, Pamela, and Louise for coming, and to everyone who sent "stuff" with them for me and my kids! It is so amazing to have all of the support from you guys and I can't explain how much I appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment