lyrics + disclaimer

Life is short, so let's go live it.

**all opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect those of the Peace Corps or any official US or Namibian organization.**

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

April/May Holiday - South Africa travels

I'll keep it brief, because my computer informs me that it will die in 7 minutes. 

We (me with some other PCVs) went to South Africa to explore, and to run an ultramarathon. After hanging in Cape Town for a few days (and running the race), Luke and I went around part of the Garden Route to see what was there. Here are some key experiences:

on the way to Robben Island 

A former prisoner of Robben Island, who still lives on the island and shared his experiences with us

Mandela's cell


after the ultra. What a cool experience. Never have I ever been so exhausted during/after a race.

View from the top! or, kind of the top.. on a hike from Wilderness, ZA (on the Garden Route). Beautiful! and GREEN!

We went paragliding!??!?

view from the top. from Luke. No way was I going to try to bring my camera...

Another hike


After ZA, I hung out in Sossusvlei (in the Namib desert) to help with an environmental education program with grade 11 learners from the south of Namibia. We helped them to learn about the desert and to complete research experiments and collect data on their own. It was really cool, and awesome to get to work with Gobabeb (and Grinnellians who are working there!) again. Unfortunately, I seem to have killed my camera.. but photos may be coming since there were a billion cameras there.

No comments:

Post a Comment