lyrics + disclaimer

Life is short, so let's go live it.

**all opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect those of the Peace Corps or any official US or Namibian organization.**

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Projects, Projects, and more projects… Tses is growing!


I’ve been very busy over the last few weeks, with a whole host of different projects. Although I’ve been busy at the school with my teaching and planning, athletics, after school clubs and classes, etc., it’s actually the work with the community that I’ve been loving the most lately.

1. Tses Youth Group. A few years ago, Tses had 2 different youth groups, which met about once a month and focused on different things. In talking with a pastor /village councilor (advisor for the local government), we decided that the need for, and interested in, a local youth group probably merited the recreation of one.

So once a week, for about two hours, I meet with the youth of Tses! (here, “youth” means vaguely 20-30 year olds.) It’s so cool – when they’re really given a chance to speak out and act on their ideas, there are people staying here who have some really great thoughts about the future and ideas to improve the social conditions of Tses. Already, we have worked on forming a community English group (to improve English skills), a business group (more later), a local Girls’ club (there are really high incidences of rape and other abuse here, and especially as Tses grows with the big glass factory coming in, we want to work to empower our young girls before these kinds of things can happen to them), and a kids’ soccer league. It’s SO COOL to see these people having ideas of what they want to have happen, and act on them! I’ll try to get some pictures later, but seriously it’s really incredible to watch them do their thing. It’s also great that there are some other volunteers staying in Tses from the UK and Germany. They’re all younger (just out of high school), but they’re really enthusiastic and are really very willing to help me out with running all of these projects when I run out of free time to coordinate them! It’s pretty fantastic! The British volunteers are taking over the English classes, and the German volunteers will start working on the Girls club with a woman from the church and one of the youth.

2. Tses Entrepreneurial Development Group. Out of the youth group, there was a huge interest in business development (especially since Tses will soon grow into a town)! We want to get started before people from “outside” come and take all of the business/job opportunities. So a group of ~30 youth (and a few elders) have gotten together to try to start their own small businesses.

3. Business Workshop. I pretty quickly got out of my league, so next week FOUR other (business) Peace Corps volunteers are going to come run a workshop for me! I’m really excited to see them, plus really excited that my community will get the chance to think together about business plans, getting their businesses registered with the government, and so on. This means we’ve had lots of meetings and have been doing lots of fundraising to try to make it happen!

That’s about it. My life in a nutshell. I don’t have any pictures of these things yet, so I’m adding some pictures of my classroom and stuff, just for fun…

see those big white sheets at the back? best idea ever. they're Sticker Charts, which my mom used when we were little as positive reinforcement for good behavior during the day... works the same with grade 8 and 9 kids when you give them a sticker for good behavior or for doign their homework! Victory!


some of the girls one afternoon

No comments:

Post a Comment