lyrics + disclaimer

Life is short, so let's go live it.

**all opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect those of the Peace Corps or any official US or Namibian organization.**

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

We're Official!


I’m proud to announce that all 35 members of PC Nam group 36 were sworn in as official Peace Corps Volunteers on Thursday, 20 Sep 2012! We’ve officially started our 2 years of service as PCVs! 

Since then I've just been in Tses, minus a few-hour excursion to my shopping town in Keetmanshoop. 

I've been shadowing Barbara, the volunteer who's been here for 2 years (but is leaving in 2.5 weeks?!), and other Namibian teachers, to learn more about our school here in Tses. It's really very interesting how different schools are within Namibia, and even more so how different Namibian vs. American schools are.

Yesterday I met my "host family" - I live at the school hostel, but there is a family in town who I will hang out with sometimes after school and on the weekends. The father is on the school board for my school, St. Therese, and we spent a few hours yesterday talking about the school system, learners, teachers, the village community, etc. It was really nice!

This week is also the 85th anniversary of the primary school that is next-door to our school. There have been a bunch of events in the evening, from a gospel music night last night to a gala dinner on Friday. It's cool to see everyone out and gathered together in the evening! (plus let's be real, I'm not gonna turn down an evening of real music!)

Thanks to everyone who has been keeping in touch! I love hearing from all of you, and now that I'm at site I should have more time (and internet access) to respond better to you. Sending love from Namibia!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulation and best wishes to all of Grouup 36. Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete