lyrics + disclaimer

Life is short, so let's go live it.

**all opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect those of the Peace Corps or any official US or Namibian organization.**

Monday, August 6, 2012

Homestay


DESCRIPTION
Homestay, living with a host family for 7 weeks, is an important part of PST. We learn how to live with a local family, practice speaking a local language with them, and get to know part of the community. 

SPECS
Regularly in my house are my host mom, Alta (51), her daughter, Esme (27), and HER son, Cayleb (turned 8 months old on Sunday, and just learned to pull himself up to a standing position!). Alta has another daughter who lives in town, who has a 3 year old daughter. Alta was born in South Africa but is now Namibian, and her kids are Namibian. None of these women has ever been married.

We live in a location (poor suburb neighborhood) called Nau-Aib, about 3 miles from the center of Okahandja. I think I have about the best setup of any of the PCTs, featuring a hot water heater that can be turned on before bathing, a real bathtub that I can fill up, a washing machine (you have to rinse and dry clothes by hand, but still), and the most wonderful host family ever.

DESCRIPTION
Let me tell you, homestay is a lot more than just part of training.

My host family is amazing. I am already part of the family and I feel totally at home here. Alta has hosted volunteers before, and is an expert on providing guidance while realizing I'm an adult and giving me lots of freedom to do what I want. She's also spoiling me rotten--letting me think I'm helping with the dishes and laundry, but really doing everything she can to make me happy and comfortable. She's also awesome at listening to my horrible Afrikaans with minimal laughter, a kindness which I think basically speaks for itself.

Esme is also really great. We've already spent several hours talking about this, that, or the other thing. Today after my Sunday long run, I brought home a friend unannounced so that we could finish up our conversation (yeah, long runs provide the same wonderful opportunity for airing out grievances here in Namibia). Esme chastised me just for apologizing afterwards, because "this is your home" and "you should feel comfortable" and "ti's not a big deal." Absolutely wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are enjoying your stay there, and you are having a wonderful host family.

    How did you find their local language? There is so much culture hidden in the language... I think!

    ReplyDelete